Thursday, June 3, 2010

update

The past several weeks have been odd for me. All symptoms pointed towards pregnancy: Nausea, missing period, mood swings, breast tenderness, peeing all the time, heaviness in my uterus, very irritable, major nausea, my skin was glowing, hubby was very, very interested in my glow.... And the strange impulse to buy folic acid on my last supplement purchase several weeks ago before I even considered pregnancy. I NEVER buy folic acid!

I called my doc for a blood test to confirm. She ordered all my hormones to be tested plus a quantitative hcg test on Thursday. Friday we left to travel to the other side of the state to visit relatives and I called the nurse to find out the initial results. She said that I was not pregnant and with such low progesterone levels it meant my body was going into preterm menopause.

I just turned 36 years old.

That information really helped to make my weekend suck unbelievably!

Saturday I started bleeding small chunks. (sorry, TMI, I know) Nothing heavy and no cramping. Not even cramping like a period cramp. Spotted a couple days.

I talked with my homeopathist friend about this all and after taking a lot of notes, she says she believes I was/is pregnant too. And to wait 2 weeks to see if anything happens different with the bleeding.

The hCG test the doc ordered is not one that actually determines if a person is pregnant or not, unless it is done 2 days apart to determine if the hcg is increasing or decreasing. Not enough progesterone will automatically miscarry the baby anyway.

So I will be spending money and time on Monday on another visit to the doc to find out what the 'tests' say is wrong with me. I am getting skeptical lately of being pushed into expensive supplements, shots, therapies, etc. all the time. I understand the importance of bio-identical hormone therapy and other things, but it seems like the more I take, the worse I get. Going into menopause so early is a very, very bad thing to be doing.

The diagnosis is not sitting well in my 'gut'. I guess we'll see what happens on Monday. Hopefully her suggestions will help to reverse the damage to my body!

Add to that my middle child is having more seizures (3 in the month of May), each one different and I'm thinking that the meds are doing this. I know when compared to others that have 200 a day it doesn't seem like such a bad thing, but they are all still traumatic nontheless. So now what? The more we try, the worse we all get. I wish God would put his healing finger on us, or at least my daughter. But I know that His will is up to His timing and for His glory.

That is my update and I'm hoping the next one will be better news!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Low progesterone doesn't tell you anything about your menopausal status...low FSH would. Low progesterone just means you likely didn't ovulate (yet?) in this cycle.

the HSG blood test will definitely tell you if you are pregnant, even if it doesn't double. Doubling just indicates that the pregnancy is probably viable, vs likely to miscarry. If it was super low or zero, on the HCG blood test, you simply aren't/weren't pregnant.