Thursday, April 15, 2010

Best Pancakes EVER: Day 1

I could post just the recipe, but many get confused when dealing with a starter culture & all so I decided to post how I make it, day by day. Let me know if this is something you are following with me. By the end of 5 days, you will have the BEST pancakes you will ever eat. The best thing about these are the gluten is fermented OUT of the pancakes, so those that are sensitive/intolerant can have these too! To not get a damaged gut from grains, you must soak them to break down the phytic acid. So this recipe takes care of all problems associated with wheat! This is a great treat for everyone and you will actually be nourishing your family!


Day 1:

Things you will need:

Glass Jar with lid
flour
1 cup of non-chlorinated water
spoon or butter knife
1 cup flour

Put the flour & water in the jar & mix around. I often mix with a butter knife because of it's length.

Find a glass jar with a fitting lid. Quart size or larger. I use caning jars with the white plastic lids. You can use an empty pickle or mayo or applesauce jar, as long as it is glass and you have a lid for it.

If you have chlorine in your water, just boil & cool the water. Chlorine will kill your cultures. You can use any type of flour and distilled or spring or boiled water.

The measurements are not precise with this, just use equal amounts of water and flour. It should appear thick like pancake batter or pudding. It is not a big deal if it is a bit runnier or thicker. Too thick will be more of a problem, though. Just add more water or flour to make the consistency acceptable.

Put the cover on loosely and let it sit on your kitchen counter.

If you add too much flour/water, the culture has a tendency to bubble over, which is why you need a larger container and why the lid should NEVER be on very tight.



***** to be continued tomorrow......*****


(hint: you will be adding some flour & water every day until it looks bubbly & smells like yeast. The length of time will be determined on the warmth of your kitchen. )

Post a comment and let me know if you are going to be doing this or if you have any questions or concerns!!

I can't wait to hear from you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Side note... I am SO excited! I have been looking and looking all over for Stinging Nettle weed and have never encountered it while living here. It was everywhere where I grew up so much that I knew how to handle it without getting stung! I want it for the healing properties in tea to dry and be able to use. GUESS WHAT?! Somehow, it has appeared ABUNDANTLY in my back yard!!! WOOHOOOOO! God must have heard my plea and sent some seeds over! LOL! So today, the plants are about 8 inches tall, so I harvested some of them for their leaves & roots. yea!!!!!!!! **happy dance**

So for anybody that cares, I thought I'd share! lol!

No comments: